Committed to the reliability and security of the regional power system that provides electricity in a 26,000-square-mile electric service area in northeastern Minnesota, Minnesota Power
supplies retail electric service to 144,000 customers and wholesale electric service to 16 municipalities.
Minnesota Power is a utility company based in Duluth, Minn., and is owned by ALLETE, Inc., a provider of affordable, reliable energy services in the Upper Midwest. Other ALLETE businesses include Superior Water, Light & Power; ALLETE Clean Energy; ALLETE Renewable Resources; BNI Coal; and ALLETE Properties.
- About 1,200
- We serve about 143,000 residential and commercial customers, 16 municipalities and some of the nation’s largest industrial customers.
and distribution lines:
- 500 kV: 8 miles
345 kV: 29 miles
250 kV: 465 miles
230 kV: 632 miles
161 kV: 43 miles
138 kV: 128 miles
115 kV: 1,221 miles
Less than 115 kV: 6,216 miles
- Boswell Energy Center, Taconite Harbor Energy Center, Laskin Energy Center
- Biomass and coal:
- Hibbard Renewable Energy Center, Cloquet Energy Center
- Biomass, coal & hydro:
- Rapids Energy Center
- Taconite Ridge Energy Center, Bison Wind Energy Center
- Thomson, Fond du Lac, Scanlon, Knife Falls, Pillager, Sylvan, Little Falls, Blanchard, Prairie River, Winton